Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Are your kids "too big for their size"?

In December 2007 (vol. 357 no. 23) the New England Journal of Medicine published an study entitled Childhood Body-Mass Index and the Risk of Coronary Heart Disease in Adulthood.

In this study 5,063,622 person-years of follow-up were completed, 10,235 men and 4318 women were studied. These men and women in their childhood years had an Body Mass Index that was within the limits of obesity later in life received a diagnosis of Coronary Heart Disease or died of Coronary Heart Disease as adults.

So let me ask you.
How are your kids doing?
Would you describe your children and the children around you “too big”, “large for their size”, “heafty”?

Genetically speaking the highest figure I have read is genetics plays 30% .This leaves me asking what about the other 70%? It must be lifestyle. What else could it be?

Your family doctor and pediatrician are struggling to figure out how to talk to parents about their childrens weight. I recommend you help them out. You as the responsible adult mention to your doctor on your next visit you are concerned about your childs weight and ask what you can do.


Here is what you can do starting today start adding more fruits and vegetables to you and your childs daily food intake , check out www.childrenshealthstudy.com, ask someone you know about Juice Plus+

No comments: