This is the outline of the presentation I have been doing all month in honor of heart month. If you would like to know more about heart disease and what you can do to prevent it check out http://www.goredforwomen.o
In doing these presentations I was surprise how uninformed we all are.
I would love your feedback… here you go.. is it fact or fantasy?
No one in my family died of a heart attach so I don’t need to know about it. (fantasy)
#1 Cause of is Death Heart Disease
• 7.1 million have suffered a heart attack.
• 100 million have been diagnosed with heart disease.
• 500 million women & 450 million men died of heart disease.
• 1 in 3 people will die from complications of hardening of the arteries.
• 23% of Americans have high blood pressure.
Men are much more likely to have a heart attack than women. (fantasy)
• Heart disease is the # 1 cause of death for women.
• Heart attack is more likely to kill women than men.
• Women are 6 times more likely to die of a heart attack than breast cancer
• 1 in 9 Women 45 – 64 years old 1 in 3 - Over 65 years old
Heart disease is a disease of middle age and older yrs? (fantasy)
• By age 3, children have fatty deposits in their arteries.
• By age 12, 70% have developed beginning stages of hardening of the arteries.
• By age 18 30.2% high blood pressure 17.3% high cholesterol
No Gain: You need to get sweaty & out of breath for it to count. (fantasy)
It’s all about activity.
• Exercise is the only way to develop collateral circulation in the heart, any level of activity will improve your hearts circulation.
It’s in my genes, I can’t avoid it. (fantasy)
There is more than one factor that contributes to Heart Disease.
• There are factors you can not control such as heredity, age and race.
• The factors you can control are how you live you life such as cigarette smoking, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes, physical inactivity.
The stress is killing me. (fact)
On Health Consumer Reports 2007 reported “Treating depression and curbing anger my be nearly as important for preventing heart attack as much as diet and exercise”
Mayo Clinic Study reported heart circulation Increased 22 % during laughter
Decreased 35% during stress.
Why are we so unhealthy?
Poor food choices
Eating too much “BAD” foods
Not eating enough “GOOD” foods
Not drinking enough water
Lack of exercise
The recommendation from the American Heart Association, American Cancer Society and the USDA (our government) is to Eat a wide variety of fruits and vegetables, on average 7 – 13 servings (1 serving 1/2 cup)
Fruits and Vegetables:
• Are packed with antioxidants, vitamins and minerals
• Are anti – inflammatory
• Helps to enhance immune function
• Reduces DNA damage
• Improves circulation
For those of us who can’t, won’t or don’t know how to eat enough fruits and veggies to maintain their health I recommend Juice Plus+ (http://www.yourjuiceplus.c
The American Heart Association also recommends adding the Omega 3’s heart healthy fats such as fish and nuts plus adding a fish oil supplement to assist in the reduction of inflammation. For those who don’t like fish, I recommend a fish oil supplement. (http://www.nordicnaturals.
Once you have a heart attack it’s all down hill, no recovery. (fantasy)
• Dean Ornish's Program for Reversing Heart Disease (1976) reports
• “It is easier to PREVENT heart disease than it is to REVERSE heart disease.”
• However with strict lifestyle changes heart disease can be reduced by 60%.
If I wait a minute my chest pain will go away, and I will be ok. (fantasy)
• Call 911, fast.
• Heart attack and stroke are life-and-death emergencies -- every second counts.
Your partner in health,
Cindy Cohen RN, Health Coach
C2 Your Health