Sunday, October 9, 2016

The Best Ways to Prevent Breast Cancer



I'll never forget the day when I attended The Juice Plus+ Company sponsored Cancer Prevention event featuring Dr. Delia Garcia, Oncologist from St. Louis, MO. She shared the story of a 17 year old girl who is the youngest person she has ever treated with breast cancer.  Dr. Garcia said “At a time a girl should be picking out her prom dress, she was picking our breast cancer treatment options.” When asked why she thought a girl so young developed breast cancer, Dr. Garcia remarked “The breast cancer developed as a result of a lifetime of process foods “no real nutrition.

It's something to think about the next time you grab a quick dinner where the manufactured process foods hang out in your local grocery store; in the freezer, box or bag on the shelf.


As both a breast cancer specialist and a survivor of the disease, I know well that all women are at risk for breast cancer – no matter their family history of the disease.

Only about 10 percent of breast cancers are associated with an inherited gene, such as the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genetic mutations. The other 90 percent of breast cancers are mostly due to lifestyle causes, reproductive choices and environmental exposures.

While some of these factors are beyond our control, there are a number of things we can do to substantially lower our risk of developing breast cancer. In fact, half of all breast cancers could be prevented through a combination of lifestyle changes, starting as late as age 50 – and there's a number of ways you can lower your risk you can start with these. 

Maintain a healthy weight - with a plant based diet
Limit alcohol.
Find an exercise rhythum.
Get serious about sleep.

To read the rest of the article click here   

Your partner in health, 






Cindy Cohen RN, BS BA 
Certified Health Coach 
Wellness Consultant 
WELCOA Faculty 




No comments: